Dreaded Back Pain
Chances are you do. Some of you might have chronic low grade pain and others might have very painful episodes that leave you unable to walk. Here are some interesting facts about back pain:
- Low back pain is the leading cause of disability world wide.
- Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missing work, outnumbered only by upper respiratory problems.
- Experts estimate that nearly 80% of people will experience back pain at some point during their lives.
- The most common cause of back pain is mechanics ie moving the wrong way or lifting something incorrectly as opposed to serious conditions such as arthritis, cancer or infection
Treatment For Low Back Pain
There are a few different ways to treat back pain such as chiropractic manipulation, IMS, traction and physiotherapy. Depending on your issues one thing might work better than another so be open to trying a few different things.
When I suffered my disc bulge the thing that finally worked for me was IMS. I saw Steve Wong atTrealor Physio . It’s not the most pleasant thing to get done but it was the only thing that really worked for me – I haven’t had a bad flair up in years! I also go to see my amazing chiropractor Tony McDougall at Armitage & Associates
Tips To Prevent Back Pain
- Eat well and exercise to maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid prolonged inactivity.
- Be sure to warm up before doing any physically demanding work such as gardening or if you have a job that requires you to lift heavy things.
- Work on proper posture especially if you spend a lot of time sitting at your computer. Make sure your work station is set up to support proper posture.
- Sleep on a mattress with medium firmness to help support your back better.
- Lift with your knees and don’t twist while lifting things
- Try to avoid wearing high heels for prolonged periods of time.
Stretches For Your Low Back
Low back pain can be debilitating so let’s do our best to avoid it. Watch the video below for some gentle stretches you can do daily to help keep your low back pain free!