Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I Finally got My Red Ruby!

I've always loved red rubies and have asked for one on many occasions :)  Well today I finally got one!  It's probably not what you think though.  It's a Specialized Ruby bike and it just happens to be red! 

She's beautiful and feels like she was made for me.  My first bike (which I still have) is a Specialized Tarmac - also a very beautiful bike which I LOVE (your first is always so special!) - but I always felt a bit nervous on it.  I thought it was just my poor bike handling abilities but as it turns out my Tarmac is a racing bike and is therefore 'twitchy'.  It's meant to be very sensitive and able to dart in and out of other riders as you would do in a race.  Going downhill you feel absolutely everything - every pebble, every little change in the pavement, EVERYTHING.  My Ruby is more meant for long rides like the Gran Fondos that I so love to do and is a bit of a smoother ride.

When I took Ruby out for a test ride up and down some hills I knew she had to be mine!  She's also a few centimetres smaller which makes all the difference in how stable you feel on a bike.  I have a smaller torso so with Ruby I'm able to better distribute my weight and not feel like I'm pitching forward and hanging on for dear life.

I'll always love my Tarmac and will be sad to see it go, but I'm blown away with how much more comfortable I am on a slightly smaller bike.

My Sunday group ride is up Seymour this week (and then back down of course) so I'll really get a chance to test Ruby out - stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment