Sunday, July 17, 2011

I did it and the wine was delicious!

Just back from Kelowna where I completed the RBC Gran Fondo Kelowna and it was awesome!!  I was nervous about the hills but they weren't that bad.  The first big one was a bit of a doozy though!  It was over 6km long and at some points had a 14% grade.  What are you gonna do though?  Just one foot over the other, keep pedalling, keep breathing and before you know it you're over the top and all is good.  Except for the dirt road we had to ride on just after the hill - that wasn't so nice.  My road bike prefers a nice paved road thank you very much.  I will definitely do it again next year if the schedule doesn't conflict with my other rides.

While climbing those glorious hills this weekend I was really thinking about my technique and I found that the more I focused on pulling up on the pedals the 'easier' it felt.  My cadence was higher and the burning in my quads subsided as soon as I focused on pulling up more.  If you have problems on hills give it a try the next time you're out climbing.

I had such a great time this weekend riding with friends and seeing many of my indoor cycling participants.  Many of them told me that my classes really made a difference in their ability to particpate in this Gran Fondo.  That's about the best compliment I can get!  My goal is to inspire others to get fit,healthy and get out and play and to know I'm achieving my goal is the best thing I can hear.  I hope to see even more of my participants out on future rides!

This weekend I also had the pleasure of visiting my friend's winery - Rollingdale Winery (2306 Hayman Rd.
Kelowna, BC).  They have the most delicious organic wines I've ever tasted!  If you're in Kelowna you have to visit them and try some of their fabulous reds, whites and ice wines.  You can also order online at http://www.rollingdale.ca/.  And no I don't get any comission if you buy their stuff, I just think it's the best and want to share it with you :)

Anyway, I've got a 6am bootcamp to teach tomorrow as well as one at 9:30am, an indoor cycling class at noon and another bootcamp at 6:15pm so, I'm off to enjoy a nice glass of Rollingdale Estate Red and something good for dinner!

Feel free to leave a comment below ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment