Thursday, July 14, 2011

An Awesome Calorie Burning Workout!

I just got back from auditioning for Cadence Cycling Studio to teach indoor cycling in their fabulous new studio - I hope I get a few classes there : )  Today I got to teach 3 indoor cycling classes!  I love teaching indoor cycling and I normally teach a lot but over the summer my schedule gets reduced and I get a bit panicky - kind of like an addict needing their fix. 

Today I really got my fix!  If you're an instructor or are just looking for a great workout to do on an indoor cycling bike try this out: pick 8-12 different drills.  Do the first one for 30 seconds then take a 30 second break.  Repeat the first 30 second drill, add a second 30 second drill, do the first one again then take a 30 second break - see where this is going?  The work period gets longer and longer and the rest period is always only 30 seconds long.  By the end if you have 10 different drills you get a 10 minute work period. 

Here are some drills you can do: flat road sprint, light hill 15 seconds pedalling with your right leg, 15 seconds pedalling with your left leg (OLP - one leg pedalling), light hill seated sprint, light hill standing run, medium hill to the beat of the music, medium hill with 2 count lifts, super heavy seated climb, super heavy standing climb, moderate to heavy hill standing push, moderate hill seated push. 

So you do the flat road sprint for 30 seconds and take a 30 second break, then do the  30 second flat road sprint again followed by the 30 second light hill one leg pedalling (15 sec/leg), then the  30 second flat road sprint again and take a 30 second break.  Then do the first 2 add on the 3rd and back down and so on and so on.  Guaranteed to make you sweat and burn upwards of 500 calories in 45 minutes to an hour!

That's my gift to you - a fabulous workout that will leave a nice puddle of sweat under your bike!  You're welcome!!
 : )

No comments:

Post a Comment