Sunday, August 07, 2011

Ruby's First Ride!

I just got back from a fabulous ride up Mount Baker which is the 3rd highest mountain in Washington state!

Kevin from La Bicicletta Pro Shop was kind enough to arrange this epic ride and 75 lucky people took part in it - what a beautiful ride.

I recently purchased a Specialized Ruby bike and today was my first big ride with her.  I figured a 150km mountain ride would be a good way to see how she rides. 

I was not disappointed!  A fairly large part of our ride was spent on a road with a lot of loose gravel.  Although it wasn't very pleasant, Ruby really handled well.  My Tarmac would have felt very unstable on such a surface, but Ruby felt quite safe and secure.  Then came the climbs!  I'm a climber and love it - I actually enjoy the pain a bit (makes me feel alive!).  On Ruby for most of the climbing I felt like I was spinning on a flat road.  I couldn't believe how easy it was to get my cadence around 80-90rpms and hold it there.  Compact gearing is amazing (my Tarmac was standard).  Don't get me wrong - I still felt that lovely burn in my legs as I climbed and climbed and climbed, but my legs were moving so fast and almost effortlessly.  I still love my Tarmac, but I think my Ruby is the kind of bike I'm meant to be on.

If you're in the market for a new bike make sure you know what kind of rider you are.  Are you a racer?  Are you a climber?  Do you prefer competing on your bike or do you want to just participate in as many long rides as possible?  Once you know that, go to your favourite bike store and tell them so they can hook you up with the perfect bike for you. 

I have two favourite bike shops - The Bike Gallery and La Bicicletta.  Of all the bike stores I've ever been to I was treated best at these two stores.  They didn't make me feel stupid for not being a cycling expert and answered all my questions without rolling their eyes or trying to rush me into a sale.  I don't know about any of you, but my experience at most bike stores has not been very positive.  It seems that most bike stores are staffed with people who don't want to be bothered by anyone who isn't some sort of cycling superstar.  Too bad because they really missed out on a lot of business from me!

I would have to say that riding my bike is one of my favourite ways to spend a weekend - that and enjoying great food and some nice wine.  What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment