Saturday, July 20, 2013

How Fast Can You Pedal?

If you go to spin/indoor cycling classes you've surely seen this: someone pedaling so fast they look like the roadrunner (you remember those cartoons don't you?).  It may look impressive and they may be huffing and puffing but it's a very inefficient way to work and if the person is not skilled at pedaling fast they could injure themselves.

I too am guilty of pedaling at upwards of 130 rpms on my spin bike but after reading some more info I've readjusted.  I now use a heavier gear (I use Keiser bikes in my studio) and try to keep my rpms below 120.  Here's what I found: I feel more in control of my pedal stroke, I'm working A LOT harder and burning way more calories.  After instructing my class to do the same thing today I got the same kind of feedback from them.

I know it's going to be hard to convince some people to go slower, but as an instructor it's my job to inform and to provide a safe, efficient workout.  People generally don't like change and there will always be those who want to show off just how fast they can pedal, but the next time you're in a spin/indoor cycling class just try upping the resistance and slowing down your sprint and see how great it feels and how much better your workout is!



No comments:

Post a Comment